Monday, September 8, 2008

Brett's Legacy

Just wanted to let everyone know that Brett will not be having his hernia surgery after all. We went to see the surgeon Thursday and he said that surgery was uneccesary unless the hernia either got bigger or started hurting him. I am a little weary of this because the first surgeon we saw in the hospital told us it definitely needed to be done. Also, I think it's better to do the surgery now rather than wait until it becomes a problem and we wind up back in the hospital again. I've got to find out how you go about getting a second opinion. Anyway, I took Makenna and Emma to the doctor on Thursday also (as we all have colds and I am neurotic when it comes to our kids being ill) and we found out that Makenna also has a umbilical hernia (plus a double ear infection, poor kid!)! The docor assured me that it did not require surgery and was really quite common in young children and if it does not heal on it's own before she turns 5 then she will have to go see a surgeon about it. So for right now Brett and Makenna have matching "lumps" on their bellies. It's pretty funny that both of their hernias are in the same spot right at the top of their belly buttons. Makenna laughs like crazy when her daddy kisses on her "lump".

3 comments:

Jason & Claire said...

I was so relieved when I got Brett's email the other day about not having surgery. That would make me nervous too though if the first doc said it was absolutely necessary. I am so sorry you have so much illness in the fam right now. Maybe we need to come out there again to help;) Just kidding- I wish. My mom would kill me. How many more months until Thanksgiving??

The Pfau's said...

I am so glad that Brett isn't going to have surgery. Surgery always seems so scary even if it is for something little. I can't believe both kids are sick and Makenna has a hernia too! Poor baby I HATE when the little ones get sick. Give her lots of love from her Aunt Debbi. By the way Koben has a little hernia on his stomach too! He has had it since a baby and whenever I ask the Dr. about it she says that the only reason to do surgery is for cosmetic reason. Koben isn't that vain yet so he's keeping his hernia.

aubri said...

Poor Makenna! That's so awful that she has a DOUBLE ear infection! Ahhh! I'm really glad to hear that Brett doesn't need surgery. We were all really worried about him. We will still pray for no surgery! Who knows, maybe it'll go away on both of them! Hope everyone starts feeling better soon. We love you!