Friday, April 24, 2009

Our little Chunk-a-monk

Emma had her first well baby doctor visit yesterday since Feburary. The doctor could not believe how much Emma is cooing and "talking" now or how well she can use her pincer finger and thumb to pick up small objects, but I think the doctor was really shocked when she weighed our little chunk-a-monk and found that she was 28 lbs!! The doctor wants us to cut back Emma's formula intake and replace 4 of her bottles a day with heavily watered down juice. Poor girl is already on her first diet. Really, Brett and I agree with the doctor, that although Emma is incredibly cute as this little round faced, blue-eyed, blond hair chubby baby her weight may not be so cute in 2 years or so, so we are doing what we must to get it under control now. But man, I hope she doesn't lose her chunky thighs, I just LOVE them. The doctor thinks Emma will slim down once she is walking full time. Although she can walk,and even took a few steps on her own for the doctor, her walking has stalled. she no longer is obsessed with walking and holds on to me or Brett for dear life when we try to let go of her. The doctor is unsure whether this stall is due to her nasty fall, or if her weight is too much for her legs. My poor baby. Makenna was super duper chunky before she started walking too, so hopefully it is that once Emma starts to walk she will slim down. Every time I take Emma to the doctor it seems like I leave with something new to worry about and obsess over. Last time I took her they told me her head hadn't grown in 2 months and if it stalled growth they would have to check into some surgery, that in the worst case scenario, would involve drilling a hole into the skull to allow her head to grow properly, thankfully her head has grown over an inch this time. Whew. So, the rest of the appointment went well. She is 29 inches long and is hitting all her milestones and is advanced in her speech, and fine and gross motor skills. The doctor also said Emma is one of the happiest and cutest babies she ever seen, that always brings a smile to my face when people say that and I happen to agree.

3 comments:

Jason & Claire said...

What?!? Chunky babies are the BEST! Please don't let her lose those thighs! I didn't hear about a fall. Is she alright? Did she get hurt or just scared? Give both of your girls hugs and kisses from me. I can't wait to see them!

The Pfau's said...

Dr.'s always give me more to stress about too. I have decided I am happier living in my little world of denial because it all works out in the end anyways no sense in worrying. Chunky babies are the best! I am hoping this one will be chunky but with her trying to come early I will probably have another scrawny one! Squeeze those thighs and kiss those FAB cheeks for me!

aubri said...

She is so cute! (Which I am dying to see pictures by the way!!) I love her chunkiness! I really want her and Emmett to play together! They would have a blast talking to eachother! Can you believe they're almost 1?! AHHH! SO sad!